Monday, April 14, 2014

OH GOD TEACH ME, HOW TO TEACH

OH GOD TEACH ME, HOW TO TEACH

My nine years old grand-daughter Aakriti had a conversation with my wife which she narrated to me thus:
Aak: “ Paati, I wish I could vote this time”
My wife:  “You are too young to vote. Any way if you were to vote who will you vote for?”
“I will vote for Narendra Modi uncle”
“Do you know which party he belongs to?”
“Yes, BJP”
“The names are in Kannada, you can’t read Kannada, and how do you know you are voting for BJP?”
“That’s why they have the symbols. I will press on LOTUS symbol”
“Why do you want to vote for BJP?”
“Modi uncle is a good man. He will make broad roads, provide many books to read. With the same pocket money I can buy many more books than now. I can buy more Barbie doll sets for playing”
“What do you mean by saying more?”
“Everything is very expensive. When Modi uncle becomes PM, all prices will go down”
“Why do you think so?”
“ Modi uncle is a good man, he doesn’t take bribes. My friends are saying that all things are costly now because the Congress government takes bribes and we are charged more for that”
“What do you think of Rahul Anna?”
“My friends say he is not intelligent man. He behaves like king. Our country follows democracy, and why should people of same family become PM. Then it becomes monarchy”
“Have you thought of Communists?”
“Yes, in communism, all national wealth is enjoyed by all. That means each person gets a share. India, has very low natural resources and population is high. Our share will be very small”
“How do you know all these”
“They taught us in school”
“Amazing. Alright, now you have to wait till you become 18 to vote”
“Okay, Paatti I will go play with Swarna as of now”
I was astonished to learn about this conversation. She will do well if she studies political science and law when she grows up. May be I will not be alive to see that great day.
Two days later she asked me doubts on partition of India, formation of states etc. I was thoroughly impressed by her uptake and knowledge. I told her about how the rulers were empowered to decide on going to which side etc. Then suddenly I realized, how limited my knowledge was. The limitation came from the distortions made by the media, ruling governments with their own agenda and some fiction writers impersonating as historians.
Then I remembered an old song, sung by Jim Reeves
‘Teach me how to pray’
(Daddy my daddy teach me how to pray)
One night a sleepy little boy knelt beside my bed
He smiled and looked into my eyes and this is what he said’
Daddy, my daddy, teach me how to pray

You brought me home a brand new kite showed me how to fly
And there ain’t no wonder kid whose dad can knock a ball so high
I’d like to thank God for you, but don’t know what to say
So daddy, my daddy, teach me how to pray

I’d to turn and leave his room, he began to cry
I didn’t want my boy to know so did I
His best pal forsaken him, but what was there to say
For daddy, yes daddy had forgotten how to pray
(Daddy, my daddy teach me how to pray)

Oh God save me from ignorant media, historians, politicians. Teach me how to teach
JaiBharat













2 comments: